Wednesday, August 17, 2011

One Last Adventure

Well, with summer coming to a close, I've been trying to fit in a few more adventures.  My summer job ended, so I went home for about 2 weeks to relax with family.  We went to Cedar Point for a couple of days, which was fun! 

Then I went off to Illinois to visit Jake for a little bit before school starts.  This past Saturday he woke me up early.  I was so grumpy to him.  Who wakes up at 7 on a Saturday?!  Well turns out he woke me up early because he had a surprise for me!  He of course wouldn't tell me where we were going so I spent an hour and a half in the car in full suspense.  Turns out, we were going to Chicago!!!  To the Field Museum to see the Horse exhibit which I had mentioned I really, really wanted to see!  :-)  The exhibit is closing soon, so I didn't think I was going to be able to see it.  We spent a good 5 hours in the museum, although it wasn't long enough.  We didn't even see half of the exhibits.  Then we went out for Chicago deep dish pizza.  We spent an hour and a half waiting, but it was soooo worth it! 

Sunday we went to a state park and spent the day hiking.  There were a bunch of beautiful canyons, lots of sand ("I don't understand, what's with all the sand?" said Jake), and there were SUPPOSED to be like 18 waterfalls, but they were all dried up. :-(  Oh well, that just means we'll need to go back sometime!  The canyons were tons of fun to climb up and the views were beautiful.  We did encounter a few kids who didn't want to be there.  One girl was texting away, not even looking at the surroundings.  Another littler girl asked, "Why can't there be elevators?"  I wish I could have gone there when I was a kid!  I  couldn't believe they were not awed by the beauty!  However, in one of the canyons, there was a little girl splashing around in a puddle and she said, "It's soooo beau-teee-ful."  She was adorable!

The past couple of days have been more relaxing because Jake's had orientation, but we did spend quite a few hours the other day in Borders and got some really cool books.  One is called "Off the Beaten Path"  and is about hidden, non-touristy places to visit across the United States (We got that one so that when we help you move back, Christine, we'll know where to stop ;-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment